Showing weather data into a video feed from an Axis camera. Data are fetched from local weather stations manufactured by Papago.
About the project
CamStreamer was tasked by a client to develop a weather widget for an AXIS camera that would display information such as wind speed, wind direction, humidity, dew point, and temperature. Weather information for the widget is sourced from PAPAGO Meteo ETH, an industrial weather station developed by Papouch. The purpose of the widget is to give real-time weather information to sailors and navigators as a graphic overlay on a PTZ camera.
PAPAGO Meteo ETH is connected to an AXIS P5655-E PTZ dome network camera via IP address. We developed a micro app for CamScripter App that processes meteorological data collected by the weather station. The information is displayed as a live stream with a custom-made graphic overlay created with the help of CamOverlay App.
“What makes this project interesting is the fact that thanks to the CamScripter App and CamOverlay App,” explained Filip Hanek, Product Manager for CamStreamer.
With this weather widget, we created a way to process and display locally collected weather data in a live stream with minimal hardware and software requirements: all you need is an AXIS camera,
a Papouch weather station, CamScripter App, and CamOverlay App.
When asked about the benefits of using CamStreamer apps for this project the client responded with: “We value the flexibility, licensing model, customization possibilities, CamStreamer team’s know-how, and user-friendliness.”
List of supplies
AXIS camera P5655-E PTZ
- AXIS P5655-E PTZ Network Camera is a cost-effective high performance PTZ camera for versatile surveillance.
- Thanks to the newest generation of Axis chip, it offers excellent video quality, even in the most challenging light conditions, and a high level of defense to protect your system.
- MSRP $1,999
PAPAGO Meteo ETH
- Papago Meteo ETH is a weather station that can measure temperature, humidity, dew point, carbon dioxide (CO2) concentration, wind speed, and wind direction.
- The weather station collects data based on what sensors are connected to PAPAGO Meteo ETH: temperature sensor, combined sensor (measures temperature, humidity, and dew point), CO2 sensor, and wind speed and direction sensor. Current meteorological data can be extracted from the weather station as an XML file.
- MSRP approx. $182
Anemometer for PAPAGO Meteo
- Anemometer for Papago METEO. Wind speed measurement up to 89 m/s. Complete sensor including mounting accessories for mounting on pole or pipe. Anemometer arm with 12 m of cable. We strongly recommend using surge protector.
- MSRP approx. $228
TH3: Temperature and humidity sensor
Temperature and humidity sensor for TH2E, THT2 or Papago. Cable length by variant.
- Measured temperatures: -40 through +125°C
- Measured humidity: 0 through 100% RH
- Sensor dimensions: Anodized aluminum prism 40 × 16 × 10 mm
- IP coverage: IP 54
- Sensor cable - diameter: 4,7 mm
- Sensor cable - material: blue silicone
- Sensor cable - temperature resistance: -60°C through +200°C (while moving)
- MSRP approx. $42
- CamScripter App allows to running of micro apps (Node.js script) inside the Axis cameras and fetches data from an external device
- CamOverlay App is an in-camera app that generates dynamic graphic overlays and displays them directly in Axis camera’s video stream – in this case, with real-time data from the thermometer
- MSRP $498
Plus custom development
- Approx. 1–3 MDs
- It can work also on a cheaper AXIS camera
- Starts at $399